Friday, August 27, 2010

BrainBank: The Original 3D Edition

Before the gimmicky 3D movies of today, or the gimmicky 3D movies and theme park "rides" I vaguely remember from the 90's, there was the View-Master.

I had one of these when I was a little kid, a Lion King-themed one with a few little circular slide reels full of stills from the movie magically transformed into 3D images to boggle my brain for as long as my attention span allowed.

I never appreciated how long these have been around, though. Gizmodo's having a "Celebration of Invention" week, and one of the articles was a brief history on this children's toy. It was invented by a man named William Gruber in 1939, and the basic technology behind its stereoscopic imaging has not changed to the present day.

Also, you can apparently make your own little reels for these things, which is pretty awesome. I'm tempted to pick up a nice one off of eBay and play around with it.

No comments:

Post a Comment