Monday, August 16, 2010

Chapter Thirty-Eight: MurderBoard (or: There's a Text File On My Computer That Says 'Murder Ideas' Now)

Based on an exercise outlined in the book "Thinkertoys"

I met with two of my good friends in the Digital Media Replay Lab in order to get some feedback on my Choose Your Own Adventure story. I took them through a sample play-through, and this is what they recommended to me:

- Need more emotional connection

- Really descriptive writing at intro-- try really descriptive writing at death / victory

- Develop each individual story as opposed to making the branches really short

- Decisions give you a few more decisions

- Parallel possibilities, both get you to the same place

- Easier at beginning, harder as it goes; don't allow for death until later

- Controlled RPG-esque tree

Those are the notes I jotted down. I like the suggestions, and I'm definitely going to try to implement all of them.

Closing thoughts on this exercise:

The best way to test the mettle of your creative ideas is deliver a prototype to an actual audience, and get their feedback. On a small scale, the feedback of family or friends is valuable, so long as they feel no compulsion to spare your feelings.

A short note about my creative environment:

We described our ideas to each other while sitting in the chairs in the Replay Lab, which are pretty comfortable. The room was air-conditioned, but a little stuffy from the sheer amount of unused things in there gathering dust. Also, Christian Hahn was there working on something, but he didn't say much.

No comments:

Post a Comment