Sunday, August 1, 2010

Chapter Fifteen: The Great Transpacific Airline and Storm Door Company (or: It's Business Time)

Based on an exercise outlined in the book "Thinkertoys"

Today I'm going to briefly look into the workings of a theoretical gaming company that my future self heads.

1. "What is our business?"

Well, our business is the gaming business, which is pretty broad. This should probably be narrowed down to something specific, like videogames, or boardgames. I'm going to break from the expected and choose the boardgames end of things.

2. Define and organize your business according to:

Products or services: Boardgames
Markets: Boardgames for young adults to college-aged individuals.
Functions: Boardgames for young adults to college-aged individuals.
Technologies: Boardgames integrating digital scanning technologies.

3. Under each variable, list the key words.

PRODUCTS
traditional boards
travel-sized plastic boards

FUNCTIONS
fun

MARKETS
gaming stores
K-mart, Target, etc.
Costco and other "Big-Box" retailers
online

TECHNOLOGIES
print
electronic

Taking aspects of various variables, I could make a line of modular boardgames with expansions purchased and downloaded online to add value to a game with digital circuitry embedded.

Closing thoughts on this exercise:

This exercise felt, for lack of a better word, rather clinical to me. Effective, perhaps, but it wasn't exactly fun or a particular font of enthused creativity.

A short note about my creative environment:

I wrote this in a comfortable armchair in the apartment I'm going to be living in next year, while watching "Family Guy" on TV. It's dark outside, and my friend was sitting quietly nearby watching TV with me. The air conditioning is broken, so it's a little bit warm in the room.

No comments:

Post a Comment