Monday, August 9, 2010

Chapter Ten: Tug-of-War (or: A Virus Has Been Detected)

Based on an exercise outlined in the book "Thinkertoys"

In homage to my friend and his virus-ridden laptop, today I'm going to vet the following challenge with the Tug-of-War brainstorming method: "How can I protect my computer from viruses?"

Best Case Scenario: My computer runs smoothly
Worst Case Scenario: My computer becomes riddled with viruses

Conditions:

Operating system
Antivirus software
Web browser
Popup blocker / adblocker

"Push" Conditions:

OSX, Windows 7, or Linux
Non-McAfee Antivirus
Firefox or Google Chrome
Adblock Plus

"Pull" Conditions:

Not knowing how to use Windows
McAfee Antivirus
Internet Explorer
What's a pop-up blocker?

Well that was easy.

Closing thoughts on this exercise:

I don't think I picked an optimal challenge for this, since the conditions aren't very black and white, so basically all four conditions can be push or pull conditions and you have to really drill down into them to find differences.

A short note about my creative environment:

I wrote this during a club meeting, sitting in a semi-comfortable computer chair with my laptop's charge rapidly dwindling. There was a presentation being given on gender-inclusive gaming, which I occasionally looked away from my brainstorming to contribute to. The room was well-lit and full of raucous nerds.

No comments:

Post a Comment